Persian is the official language of Iran, Tajikistan and one of the two official languages of Afghanistan (alongside Pashto). It is among the top three languages in the world in terms of the number and variety of proverbs.
The origin of many English, Spanish, Arabic, Turkish and etc. words are derived from Persian. Some of them, such as the paradise; during the period of cultural relations between the Iranians, the Greeks and the ancient Romans, migrated to Greek and Latin and continued their journey to English.
Persian is one of the richest languages in the world in terms of words quantity. Not in many languages there is a lexical or linguistic dictionary such as Dehkhoda (in 18 volumes) or Speech dictionary (in 8 volumes). The alphabet Farsi language has 32 letters.
Persian age and history
The Persian language was the main language of the Achaemenid dynasty, nowadays called ancient Persian and written in cuneiform. The official language of India was also Persian before the arrival of British colonialism. The Persian language originated from the older Middle Persian (or Pahlavi) language, which is also derived from ancient Persian itself.
Persian literature has well-known international figures, most of them are poets of the Middle centuries. Among these we can mention Rudaki, Ferdowsi, Nezami Ganjei, Khayyam, Saadi, Molana Rumi and Hafiz. Goethe believes that Persian literature is one of the four pillars of human literature. Persian literature is deeply embedded in the souls and lives of the Iranians, to the extent that many of them use Persian poems and proverbs or have poems in their memory when they talk to each other.
Many poems and books from Persian literature have been translated into various languages, and Persian poetry has become well-known worldwide, and even part of the famous poetry of Saadi, a well-known poet is projected on a rug at the United Nations building. You can see the poem below in English and Persian.
بنی آدم اعضای یک پیکرند
که در آفرینش ز یک گوهرند
چو عضوی به درد آورد روزگار
دگر عضوها را نماند قرار
The humankind are united members
who are created from the same essence of creation
as a member of the community was hurt from the universe
other members would not be relaxed and comfortable.
Tips on persian language
- Farsi (Parsi) is also known as Persian. Persian is one of the languages written from right to left. Despite of the approximate similarities between the alphabet in Persian and Arabic, the languages are quite different. You can not understand or speak Arabic by learning Persian, and vice versa.
- It is easy to learn this language. For example, students who study in Iran usually learn the language in short time about 6 months.
- If you’re traveling to Iran, don’t worry about the signs and tips. In Iran, many boards are also in English.
- Many applications, including Google Translator, support Farsi. In addition, many dictionaries are available in various environments.
- You can ask for a directory or translator for traveling to Iran from ”Iran Directory”
- In Iran Directory we have a team of local translators in various languages. You can also take help from us for translating texts, letters, contracts, and more.
This post is also available in: 中文 (Chinese)